DWP has published its ‘Shaping future support: the health and disability green paper’, which will sit alongside the National Disability Strategy and DHSC’s ‘Health is Everyone’s Business’ consultation.
The Green Paper considers the options for addressing some of the short- to medium-term issues in health and disability benefits. It consults on:
- Ways to provide more support to help meet the needs of disabled people and people with health conditions and allow them to more easily access and use benefits and services.
- Improvements to employment support for disabled people and people with health conditions, and how to encourage people to take up that support, where possible.
- Short-term improvements to our current services such as improvements to assessments and decision making, to improve the experience of disabled people.
- Changes to future assessments and alternative approaches.
- Changes that could be made to the structure of the main benefits claimed by working-age disabled people and people with health conditions.
Chapter 2 of the Green Paper focuses on employment support, whilst chapter 3 and 4 cover current and future assessments services. Some of the consultation questions asked include:
- What more could we do to further support employers to improve work opportunities for disabled people through Access to Work and Disability Confident?
- What further support or information would help work coaches to have more effective conversations with disabled people and people with health conditions?
- What more could we do to work with other organisations and service providers, local authorities, health systems and the devolved administrations to provide employment support in health settings and join up local support?
- What should we consider when developing a digital support offer for disabled people and people with health conditions?
- How could we improve assessments or the specialist support available to assessors and decisionmakers to better understand the impact of a person’s condition on their ability to work or live independently?