Books Every Sales Professional Should Read
If you’re looking for interesting sales books to read, we’ve compiled a list of more than 18 super-specific recommendations we love at Baachu. Happy Reading..
- Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal – Oren Klaff
- Secrets of Closing the Sale – Zig Ziglar
- SPIN Selling – Neil Rackham
- The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation – Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson
- Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness – Jeffrey Gitomer
- The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World’s Best Companies – Robert B. Miller, Stephen E. Heiman and Tad Tuleja
- The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible – Brian Tracy
- To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others – Daniel H. Pink
- Agile Selling: Get Up to Speed Quickly in Today’s Ever-Changing Sales World – Jill Konrath
- Blueprints for a SaaS Sales Organization – Fernando Pizarro and Jacco Van Der Kooij
- Insight Selling: Surprising Research on What Sales Winners Do Differently – Mike Schultz and John E. Doerr
- More Sales, Less Time: Surprisingly Simple Strategies for Today’s Crazy-Busy Sellers – Jill Konrath
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if Your Life Depended on It – Chris Voss
- New Sales. Simplified: The Essential Handbook for Prospecting and New Business Development – Mike Weinberg
- Sell or be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life – Grant Cardone
- Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling – Art Sobczak
- The Challenger Customer: Selling to the Hidden Influencer Who Can Multiply Your Results – Brent Adamson, Matthew Dixon, Pat Spenner and Nick Toman
- The Science of Selling: Proven Strategies to Make Your Pitch, Influence Decisions, and Close the Deal – David Hoffeld
- Sales Specialist Guide: Seven Core Concepts (with Templates) for Success – Baskar Sundaram
Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
- Oren Klaff
A single pitch can greatly change your career. The author believes that winning any presentation by persuading the viewers to accept one’s proposal is a simple matter of science. He uses his concept of neuroeconomics, which is a blend of economics and psychology, to help one understand the mechanism that an individual uses in decision-making.
This book presents various methods used by the author in directing the decision-making will of the audience, which is a valuable skill for those who negotiate on a daily basis. They are:
- Setting the Frame
- Telling the Story
- Revealing the Intrigue
- Offering the Prize
- Nailing the Hookpoint
- Getting a Decision
In addition to these chapters, there is a case study provided that helps the readers in practicing with a real-time example.
Secrets of Closing the Sale
- Zig Ziglar
Zig Ziglar explains how you can “sell” an idea. This book includes more than 100 different ways to close depending on the situation and 700 thought-provoking questions to use with prospects. There are also suggestions from a hundred of America’s most successful salespeople.
- Neil Rackham
Rackham outlines his findings and shares the principles of SPIN in this book. SPIN stands for Situation, Problem, Implication and Need-payoff. He turned selling from art to science and this is exactly what sales reps need today.
By following the simple, practical, and easy-to-apply techniques of SPIN, readers will be able to dramatically increase their sales volume from major accounts.
Packed with real-world examples, illuminating graphics, and informative case studies – and backed by hard research data – SPIN Selling is the million-dollar key to understanding and producing record-breaking high-end sales performance.
The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation
- Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson
This book is about Adamson and Dixon’s signature Teach, Tailor, and Take Control methodology. It is derived from an exhaustive study of thousands of sales reps across multiple industries and geographies. The authors’ study found that every sales rep in the world falls into one of five distinct profiles. But the Challenger is the one that stands out.
Instead of bludgeoning customers with endless facts and features about their company and products, Challengers approach customers with unique insights about how they can save or make money. They tailor their sales message to the customer’s specific needs and objectives.
The authors explain how almost any average-performing rep, once equipped with the right tools, can successfully reframe customers’ expectations and deliver a distinctive purchase experience that drives higher levels of customer loyalty and, ultimately, greater growth.
Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
- Jeffrey Gitomer
This is a classic and short, sweet, and to the point. Readers will learn to focus on why people buy and why it matters to the sales process. With entertaining illustrations in every chapter, this book is easy to return to for specific helpful tips when you need them most.
Each chapter includes a mini table of contents, pull quotes and takeaway sound bites, examples of typical whines from salespeople (e.g., “the client said they spent their whole budget”) paired with a positive response (e.g., “Decision makers make the budget. Non-decision makers spend the budget”), and plenty of advice and ideas that can be taken in and studied as a whole or referred to at random for inspiration.
The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World's Best Companies
- Robert B. Miller, Stephen E. Heiman and Tad Tuleja
Every salesperson will benefit from learning how to reach “win-win” agreements, prevent sabotage by internal blockers, identify the four types of decision-makers, engage senior executives, and more.
Learn the following from the book:
- How to identify the four real decision makers in every corporate labyrinth
- How to prevent sabotage by an internal deal-killer
- How to make a senior executive eager to see you
- How to avoid closing business that you’ll later regret
- How to manage a territory to provide steady, not “boom and bust,” revenue
- How to avoid the single most common error when dealing with the competition.
The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
- Brian Tracy
Learn how to harness psychological principles in the sales process while simultaneously getting a dose of personal motivation. The purpose of this book is to give you a series of ideas, methods, strategies, and techniques that you can use immediately to make more sales, faster and easier than ever before. It’s a promise of prosperity that sales guru Brian Tracy has seen fulfilled again and again. More sales people have become millionaires as a result of listening to and applying his ideas than from any other sales training process ever developed.
To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others
- Daniel H. Pink
Daniel H. Pink is a best-selling author who completely destroys and disproves every outdated stereotype about sales in this fantastic book. If you want to understand the modern sales landscape and the psychology of selling anything, pick this one up.
To Sell Is Human offers a fresh look at the art and science of selling. Daniel H. Pink draws on a rich trove of social science for his counterintuitive insights. He reveals the new ABCs of moving others, describes the six successors to the elevator pitch, the three rules for understanding another’s perspective, the five frames that can make your message clearer and more persuasive, and much more. The result is a perceptive and practical book–one that will change how you see the world and transform what you do at work, at school, and at home
Agile Selling: Get Up to Speed Quickly in Today's Ever-Changing Sales World
- Michael Brenner and Liz Bedor
Konrath shares techniques and tactics to help salespeople adapt to changes and arrive at the desired outcome. Everything she writes here is reinforced in her blog, eBooks and kits, and videos.
What Jill Konrath calls “agile selling” is the ability to quickly learn all this new info and then leverage it for maximum impact. Having an agile mindset, one that keeps you going through challenging times, is the crucial starting point.
In Agile Selling, you will discover numerous strategies to help you become an overnight sales expert, slashing your path to proficiency. Jill Konrath’s fresh sales strategies, provocative insights and practical advice help sellers win business with today’s crazy-busy prospects.
Blueprints for a SaaS Sales Organization
- Fernando Pizarro and Jacco Van Der Kooij
Because of their very nature, SaaS companies live and die on revenue growth. And once the service is ready there is a very small window in which to scale. Missing that window is the difference between massive success and mediocrity.
With such high stakes, it is crucial to get a sales team and process in place that will scale. Yet most early-stage companies build their sales teams by the seat of their pants. This book distills the authors’ years of building high-performance SaaS teams into a set of highly detailed instructions that will allow sales leaders to design, implement and execute all-around sales plans.
Insight Selling: Surprising Research on What Sales Winners Do Differently
- Mike Schultz and John E. Doerr
In Insight Selling, Schultz and Doerr share the surprising results of their research on what sales winners do differently, and outline exactly what you need to do to transform yourself and your team into insight sellers. They introduce a simple three-level model based on what buyers say tip the scales in favor of the winners:
Level 1 “Connect.” Winners connect the dots between customer needs and company solutions, while also connecting with buyers as people.
Level 2 “Convince.” Winners convince buyers that they can achieve maximum return, that the risks are acceptable, and that the seller is the best choice among all options.
Level 3 “Collaborate.” Winners collaborate with buyers by bringing new ideas to the table, delivering new ideas and insights, and working with buyers as a team.
This book is both a strategic and tactical guide that will separate the good advice from the bad, and teach you how to put the three levels of selling to work to inspire buyers, influence their agendas, and maximize value.
More Sales, Less Time: Surprisingly Simple Strategies for Today's Crazy-Busy Sellers
- Jill Konrath
Salespeople today are crazy-busy. Clients are demanding more. Business is continually changing. They’re under intense pressure to increase productivity. Yet traditional time management strategies do not work for salespeople.
So how can they sell more in less time – when their entire day is a never-ending distraction? Konrath has been overwhelmed by this challenge too. In this book, she shares her experience combined with research-based strategies specifically tailored to salespeople.
Readers will learn how to:
- Rescue at least one hour per day by eliminating the numerous “time bandits” that suck hours of their time – and rob them of their best thinking.
- Put together a unique system, based on their personal strengths and energy management techniques.
- Turn themselves from a time waster to a Time Master, using a transformative mind-set that eliminates the difficulty of building new habits.
You will learn how to reclaim your time by eliminating major time sucks, optimize your sales process to eliminate redundancies and wasted time, and stay at the top of your sales game.
Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if Your Life Depended on It
- Chris Voss
Chris Voss, former international hostage negotiator for the FBI, highlights the hard skills and practical principles that helped him save lives, and this will help give you an edge in any negotiation.
Never Split the Difference takes you inside his world of high-stakes negotiations, revealing the nine key principles that helped Voss and his colleagues succeed when it mattered the most – when people’s lives were at stake.
Rooted in the real-life experiences of an intelligence professional at the top of his game, Never Split the Difference will give you the competitive edge in any discussion.
New Sales. Simplified: The Essential Handbook for Prospecting and New Business Development
- Mike Weinberg
No matter how much repeat business you get from loyal customers, the lifeblood of your business is a constant flow of new accounts. Whether you’re a sales rep, sales manager, or a professional services executive, if you are expected to bring in new business, you need a proven formula for prospecting, developing, and closing deals. New Sales. Simplified. is the answer. You’ll learn how to:
- Identify a strategic, finite, workable list of genuine prospects
- Draft a compelling, customer-focused “sales story”
- Perfect the proactive telephone call to get face-to-face with more prospects
- Use email, voicemail, and social media to your advantage
- Overcome—even prevent—every buyer’s anti-salesperson reflex
- Build rapport, because people buy from people they like and trust
- Prepare for and structure a winning sales call
- Stop presenting and start dialoguing with buyers
- Make time in your calendar for business development activities
And much more…
Packed with examples and anecdotes, New Sales. Simplified. balances a blunt (and often funny) look at what most salespeople and executives do wrong with an easy-to-follow plan for ramping up new business starting today.
Sell or be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life
- Grant Cardone
The ability to sell others is as critical to your success as food, water and oxygen is to life. While you may think that an exaggeration, every person on this planet is required to sell others on their ideas to advance themselves and their goals. The skill of selling is a MUST for promoting yourself, your business and your ideas.
This book is about how to get more done in your life through selling and to show the reader how success is impossible without understanding the concepts of selling. You will be introduced to incredibly simple ways to sell any product or idea to anyone at any time. You will learn how to get others to “buy in” and agree with your ideas and get behind you and help you. You will learn strategies that will insure you are successful in life and show you exactly how to get to where you want to go. You will know how to eliminate confrontation and end disagreements with just words and your attitude and much more.
This is a fresh look at selling and how to use this forgotten art in a respectful, ethical way to get everything you want in life.
Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling
- Art Sobczak
Cold calling is not only one of the fastest and most profitable ways to initiate a new sales contact and build business; it is also one of the most dreaded for the salesperson and the recipient. Smart Calling has the solution: Art Sobczak’s proven, never-experience-rejection-again system.
It offers smart tips and techniques for prospecting new business while minimizing fear and rejection. This book will empower readers to take action, call prospects, and get a yes every time.
The Challenger Customer: Selling to the Hidden Influencer Who Can Multiply Your Results
- Brent Adamson, Matthew Dixon, Pat Spenner and Nick Toman
Challenger customers are sceptical, less interested in meeting, and ultimately indifferent as to who wins the deal. But they also have the credibility, persuasive skill and will to challenge the status quo that will get a deal to the finish line far more often than customers who are easier to connect with.
Based on new CEB research from thousands of B2B marketers, sellers and buyers around the world, The Challenger Customer shows you how to find these ‘mobilizers’ and equip them with the tools to effectively challenge their own organizations on your behalf. This ground-breaking book is the blueprint you need to make the sale again and again.
The Science of Selling: Proven Strategies to Make Your Pitch, Influence Decisions, and Close the Deal
- David Hoffeld
Blending cutting-edge research in social psychology, neuroscience, and behavioral economics, The Science of Selling shows you how to align the way you sell with how our brains naturally form buying decisions, dramatically increasing your ability to earn more sales.
Unlike other sales books, which primarily rely on anecdotal evidence and unproven advice, Hoffeld’s evidence-based approach connects the dots between science and situations salespeople and business leaders face every day to help you consistently succeed, including proven ways to:
- Engage buyers’ emotions to increase their receptiveness to you and your ideas
- Ask questions that line up with how the brain discloses information
- Lock in the incremental commitments that lead to a sale
- Create positive influence and reduce the sway of competitors
- Discover the underlying causes of objections and neutralize them
- Guide buyers through the necessary mental steps to make purchasing decisions
Packed with advice and anecdotes, The Science of Selling is an essential resource for anyone looking to succeed in today’s cutthroat selling environment, advance their business goals, or boost their ability to influence others.
Sales Specialist Guide: Seven Core Concepts (with Templates) for Success
- Baskar Sundaram
This book provides sales managers with the skills needed to build an actionable roadmap for driving sales growth. Learn how to conduct sales prospecting to find hidden and unique opportunities, discover strategies to streamline your go-to-market process to increase face time with the highest-priority clients, and focus your value proposition for higher conversion rates. The tools and strategies provide a foundation in key frontline sales concepts to drive real growth in your company. You can download the guide here