Baachu Talk Podcast
Showcasing the human leadership stories behind UK public and business services
Part of 18-24 May 2020, mental health week kindness theme, I shared my kindness stories
I then reached out to few industry leaders to share their kindness story, Baachu Talk Podcast was born 1st June. I noticed everyone has different views and priorities, differences aside they all want the best for the country.
This podcast is my little part to showcase human leadership behind our public services (private, public, tech, third sector) and enable us to come together and kickstart a concerted effort to maintain and build on this – ‘Together’.
I personally invite you to listen to Baachu Talk.
Today's guest is Peter Ankerstjerne
Peter Ankerstjerne, MBA, COP, FRICS, IFMA Fellow has more than 25 years of experience covering most aspects of facility management, service management, outsourcing, marketing, and strategy development. Peter has spent most of his career with the ISS Group, where he led the development of the Integrated Facility Services concept from idea to implementation. From 2008 to 2018 he held the position as Group Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). From April 2019 to March 2020 he was Senior Vice President, Head of Digital FM and Workplace Experience, EMEA at Weworks “Powered by We” and today he is Global FM and Employee Services Lead at JLL. Peter joined IFMA in 2005 and has been on the board of directors since 2016. Peter is a former IFMA Foundation trustee and is actively involved in the industry as both a speaker and a debater. Peter was involved in developing the IFMA Regional Advisory Board strategy and was critical in establishing the European Advisory Board on which he still serves. Peter will take up the IFMA Chair role from 1st July. Apart from IFMA, Peter has also served on several advisory boards, including the Advisory Board for International Business Development at Copenhagen Business School and the Strategic Advisory Board at the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP). He is also a member of CoreNet, Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP). In 2015, Peter was nominated as a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS), and in 2016 he was named IFMA Fellow. Peter has an MBA from Copenhagen Business School in Denmark and is a Certified Outsourcing Professional (COP). As a member of Workplace Revolutionaries, he has been instrumental in establishing the Denmark Hub.
Part 1 – Peter's early life, career, facilities management industry Covid19 response, his views on future of work, future of workplace, technology plus few fun questions and we chat about gratitude, values and kindness and people influential in his life and career
Part 2 – IFMA Exclusive - Peter's entry to IFMA, his journey, memorable moments, contributions so far with industry body plus Peter shares his vision for IFMA and message to the existing members with RICS and IAOP Association Memories
In this episode, we will discuss Peter’s
- Early life and education
- First Job as Cleaner at his father’s business
- Entry to ISS
- 9 months temp worker to Group Marketing Director
- Role in designing ISS logo
- Chair of Integrated Facilities Services at ISS
- Stint at We work
- Advice to pure play cleaning or building maintenance players on the future of FM?
- Views on work from anywhere” trend?
- Views on repurposed existing commercial space
- Views on FM and workplace technology
- Suggested resources or websites do you recommend for our industry?
- Key achievements
- 3 things not many people know about him
- Views on shared office space and local offices trend ?
- Memorable moments with IFMA and individuals on the board
- Views on IFMA response in supporting the industry ?
- Views on similarities and difference of FM and workplace service across geographies?
- One common myth about our profession that he want to debunk?
- Entry to IFMA
- Vision and message to current IFMA members
- Top tips for facilities service buyers and facilities and workplace service providers
- Memorable moments with RICS
- International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP) membership
- Advice to people wanting to pursue career
- One thing he wish he had known early in his career
- Influential people in his life and career
Few random questions
- If you could eat only 3 foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- What is something you have that is of sentimental value?
- If you could be anywhere else right now, where would it be?
- Who will you invite as podcast guest?
- What will you do with a time machine?
- If a genie granted you three wishes, what would they be? (can’t ask for more wishes)
- What holly wood movie character you would like to play?
- On a scale 1-10 how strict are you as parent?
- What have you observed lately (Covid-19) that reminded you that people are kind?
- Follow Nike saying just do it
- Workplace has the biggest potential for FM industry
- Experience forces us to think about people in the building
- With covid19 we are seeing the biggest experiment – work from home
- Deep concentrated work will continue at home and colloboration at office
- 7% of workforce actively worked from home pre-covid
- Covid19 acted as catalyst in workplace adoption
- Working from home is here to stay
- Covid19 also will impact leadership styles – measure people on the outcome not on the face time
- IFMA Message – This is the most interesting time to be in facilities management
- Adventure of the ring
- Always enjoyed the adventure movies
- All-time favourite actor – Jim Carrey
- Compact dancing – special dance moves
- Michael Phelps and Mark Spitz
- Skildpadder – best chocolate in the world
- Family is sentimental value to me
- Treat people in the way you wanted to be treated
- Make sure you care about the people on the floor
- Peter the Viking
- I connect with my Viking past
- Future of work podcast – Geoffrey Saunders, Dr. Marie Puybaraud, Jacob Morgan and more…
Get to know futurist Peter Ankerstjerne, IFMA Chair