Baachu Talk Podcast
Showcasing the human leadership stories behind UK public and business services
Part of 18-24 May 2020, mental health week kindness theme, I shared my kindness stories
I then reached out to few industry leaders to share their kindness story, Baachu Talk Podcast was born 1st June. I noticed everyone has different views and priorities, differences aside they all want the best for the country.
This podcast is my little part to showcase human leadership behind our public services (private, public, tech, third sector) and enable us to come together and kickstart a concerted effort to maintain and build on this – ‘Together’.
I personally invite you to listen to Baachu Talk.
Today's guest is Paul Bean
Paul is a high calibre Executive with a proven strategic and operational track record. Kick-starting his career in hotel operations, with Hilton and Marriott Hotels. In 2006 Paul was awarded a Fellowship by the UK Institute of Hospitality in recognition of his contribution to the UK hospitality industry. Paul has spent the last 17 years’ in large scale facilities management, contract management and business development, operating in many sectors in Europe. In November 2019 Paul was recognised for his contribution to the Facilities Management sector with a Fellowship award from IWFM. Paul was a co-founder of Resource Group which was started from a management buy in and was built up to integrate 5 companies creating one of the largest private FM companies in Ireland from 2006 to 2010. Following his exit in 2010 Paul held executive level positions with GDF Suez and Amey plc up until 2014 when he joined Sodexo where Paul held the position of CEO Mining Worldwide. Paul was instrumental in driving the growth and innovation for Mining within Sodexo and helped to drive business growth significantly over 6 years establishing a market leading position in many territories globally, including leading the award and mobilisation of the largest contract awarded to Sodexo in its 52 year history valued at over $3bn. Joining City FM in March 2020, Paul brings with him a wealth of expertise in business growth, people management, change management, project mobilisation, innovation and problem solving.
In this truly inspirational episode we will discuss Paul’s
- Early life and education
- First Job
- Entry and Experience in Hospitality sector
- Entrepreneur journey with Resource Group
- Sodexo career
- City FM and City Partnership Model
- Key achievements
- 3 things not many people know about him
- First reaction hearing Covid19 lockdown and subsequent approach
- Adaptation to new normal
- Advice to people wanting to pursue leadership career
- One thing he wish he had known early in his career
- One kind or thoughtful thing someone did to him
- Kindest person he knows
- Best piece of advice he has received
- Biggest lesson life has taught him
Few random questions
- What made you laugh or smile recently?
- What was your best subject in school?
- What movie character are you most like?
- What is the most courageous thing you have ever done?
- If you could be anywhere else right now, where would it be?
- If you could eat only 3 foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- Who haven’t you seen or talked to in a long time and hope they are doing okay?
- What trait do you like the most about yourself?
- University of life
- Creativity triggers entreprenurial thoughts
- Lost a business built more self confidence
- Previous step equipped me to the next step
- For every achievement there are many corresponding failures
- Took Covid 20% pay cut ensured furloughed employees 100%
- Employees putting themselves on the line is the most humbling experience
- If you have choice to work from home you are fortunate
- Missing social connections and innovation that comes from spontaneity
- Learn more by listening
- Kindness is everyday character
- You can if you think you can
- Learn to be humble
- My achievement will be my legacy
Get to know Paul Bean, one of the most grounded visionary leader you will ever meet.