Baachu Talk Podcast
Showcasing the human leadership stories behind UK public and business services
Part of 18-24 May 2020, mental health week kindness theme, I shared my kindness stories
I then reached out to few industry leaders to share their kindness story, Baachu Talk Podcast was born 1st June. I noticed everyone has different views and priorities, differences aside they all want the best for the country.
This podcast is my little part to showcase human leadership behind our public services (private, public, tech, third sector) and enable us to come together and kickstart a concerted effort to maintain and build on this – ‘Together’.
I personally invite you to listen to Baachu Talk.
Today's Guest Is Colin Dobell
Colin is Founding Director and CEO of Mitie Care and Custody. Colin is a management and finance professional with over 20 years of experience in outsourced criminal justice sector. He held senior positions in leading providers of custodial services including Group 4, GSL and GEO Group. He founded Mitie Care & Custody, a shared equity start-up, in 2009. Colin’s strategic direction and strong understanding of secure environments helped Care & Custody winning over £1bn worth of business within 8 years of operations. Now, the start-up became one of the largest providers of immigration detention services to the UK Home Office.
In this very first we will discuss Colin’s
- Early life, high school, and education
- Father as an entrepreneur
- How his sister inspired him away from mining
- Accounting Career and his first job
- Entry to justice sector
- 3 hidden passions
- Interest in public policy
- Key achievements so far
- What are your key achievements so far?
- Fascination about UK justice sector?
- Entrepreneurial journey with Mitie Care and Custody
- Impact on Forensic sector and Immigration sector
- Build sustainable business driven by service first principle
- View on Mitie C & C managing detainee and staff welfare before and during their Covid19 crisis
- Adapting in “new normal”?
- People passion
- What propels some people to the rank of CEO (and not others)?
- Advice to someone wanting to pursue a leadership career
- One thing he wish he had known when you began your career?
- Most humbling experience during the crisis
- Email from a colleague
- Inspiration in his life and career
Few random questions
- As a child, what did you wish to become when you grew up?
- What trait do you like the most about yourself?
- What random stranger has had the biggest impact on your life?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- If you could go to the past or future, where would you stay and why?
- What was the best year of your life? Why?
- What is the scariest thing you have ever done for fun?
- If you had to be a teacher of something, what would you teach?
- What have you observed lately (Covid 19) that reminded you that people are kind?
- What is the biggest lesson life has taught you?
- What is one kind or thoughtful thing someone did to you recently?
- Who is the kindest person you know?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve received and from whom?
- Accomplishments is better for others to judge
- Leaders need to build great culture with public service and entrepreneurial ethos
- Work within UK Government guidance and develop your safe systems at work
- Be determined and be resilient
- Calmness under pressure
- Surround yourself with resilient people
- Work life balance
- Most people are decent and kind human beings
Listen in to know more Colin, a people leader